This guide provides an overview of the Reports Builder and step-by-step instructions for using the Reports Builder to create a basic report.
- Attribute: The objects that you want to measure. Examples of Attributes are Huddles, Pitches, Learning Paths, Files, Users, etc.
- Measures: The metrics available for each Attribute. The Measures available depends on the Attribute chosen. Examples of Measures are Huddle Completion %, Huddle Test Score, File # of Views, File # of Downloads, etc.
- Filters: The criteria applied to limit the results for computed and displayed values.
- Report: The set of Attributes, Measures, and Filters that visualize your data as a chart or table.
Reports Builder Components
For the purposes of this guide, we will only be using components 3, 5, 6, 4, and 1 of the Reports Builder from the UI diagram above.
- Component 3 lists the Attributes and Measures you can choose from. Initially, in a new blank report, all Attributes and Measures are available. As you choose each Attribute or Measure (by dragging and dropping them into component 5 or 6) the available choices in component 3 will be limited based on your selection.
- Component 5 lists the Measures you have chosen to calculate.
- Component 6 lists the Attributes you have chosen to report on.
- Component 4 are the available report visualizations.
- Component 1 is the report output. Choose an output format by selecting one of the table or chart visualizations in component 4.
Creating a Basic Report
Navigate to the Reports Builder by going to Reports -> Builder. Note: the Reports menu is only available if you have the proper role (see Getting Started with SalesHood Analytics). This will open up the Reports Builder and allow you to create a custom report from scratch. If you mess up, you can start over again with a blank slate by clicking on Clear.
- Click on Table () visualization in component 4
- Click on the attributes tab in component 3
- Drag and drop the Leaning Path Attribute from component 3 to component 6
- Drag and drop the User Attribute from component 3 to component 6
- Click on measures in component 3
- Drag and drop the Learning Path Completion % Measure from component 3 to component 5
- NOTE: The operator on measures defaults to SUM. For percentages it often makes the most sense to update the operator to AVERAGE.
- As each step is performed, the report results are displayed in component 1 and kept up to date
Congratulations, you have built your first custom report! This report displays the Learning Paths and each User’s completion percentage. When you are satisfied with the report, click on Save and give the report a name. You can re-run this report at any time by choosing it from the Open drop down list.
One Step Further: Filters
One way you could make the report we just built more robust is by using filters. Filters allow you to limit the results in your report to particular Attribute criteria. To add filters, simply drag Attributes from Component 3 into the filters header, Component 9. Some useful filters for the report built in this example could be:
- User Team: Since one of the main Attributes we are exploring in this report is User, adding the User Team filter would allow us to focus on users who are members of a particular team.
- User Manager: Similar to the above User Team filter, but would focus in on the activities of users who are managed by particular people in your organization.
- Learning Path: You can filter for specific Learning Paths to limit the report results to only those that you are trying to get information about.
- For a description of all the Reports Builder components, see Components within the Reports Builder.
- For a list of all the Attributes and Measures available, see Attributes and Measures Available in SalesHood Reports Builder.
- To understand how to customize Standard Reports see Customizing Standard Reports.